- We don't run ads to preserve our neutrality
- We don’t charge our readers as we believe that free access to news is a universal right
- We are committed to bringing you unbiased news.
About 600 protesters who were trapped by police inside a Hong Kong university have surrendered to the authorities, chief executive Carrie Lam has said.
Lam said that among those who had given themselves up to police were 200 children.
Over the past 24 hours police fought running battles with protesters trying to break a security cordon around Polytechnic University in the city, firing teargas both at activists trying to escape the besieged campus and at crowds trying to reach it from outside.
Lam said on Tuesday that she had told police to handle the situation in a humane way and that representatives had been sent in to persuade the remaining 100 protesters to come out peacefully.
She said no “immediate” arrests of under-18s had been made. She said however that authorities reserved the right to make further investigations in the future. Hong Kong courts have no power to rule on face mask ban, says China
Read more Hong Kong’s new police chief, Chris Tang, took office on Tuesday with a warning that “fake news” was undermining the reputation of his 30,000-strong police force and called for the city’s citizens to help end the turmoil. Tang replaces outgoing Commissioner Stephen Lo, who has presided […]
Click here to view original news page at www.theguardian.com

