* Five had exhibited flu-like symptoms
* Investigations say pipes in good order after drains scare
* Parts of HK deserted, evoking memories of SARS (Recasts with people testing negative for coronavirus)
HONG KONG, Feb 11 (Reuters) – Five Hong Kongers evacuated from a residential building where a man and woman confirmed with coronavirus live tested negative for the virus, health authorities said on Tuesday, easing concerns of a cluster of the outbreak in the Chinese-ruled city.
The five people were exhibiting flu-like symptoms earlier. They remain in quarantine together with 200-plus residents who were evacuated from the building in Tsing Yi district in the New Territories in the early hours.
The evacuation occurred after a 62-year-old woman became the second confirmed case in the building on Monday, after a 75-year-old man tested positive on Jan. 30. The two patients, currently receiving treatment, live on different floors.Initial investigations into the drainage system in the building further reduced concerns that the virus may have spread through the pipes, authorities said.The flat where the latest infection was discovered had had an alteration to its drainage system, but the pipe network in the public building was in good condition, they said.Parts of Hong Kong, including restaurants, shopping malls and cafes, are almost deserted as people work from home and schools remain closed, evoking memories of 2003 when Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) sent panic across the city.Most of Hong Kong’s population of more than 7 million people live in high-rise buildings. In 2003, initial exposure was blamed […]
- Hong Kong protesters firebomb proposed quarantine building amid coronavirus outbreak: reports
- Hong Kong’s Agnes Chow defies travel ban in Skype appeal to Japan
- Coronavirus Widens Hong Kong Anger at Government, China
- Hong Kong activist waves red flag on China
- Panic buying in Hong Kong amid ‘alarming’ spread of coronavirus
- Sony World Photography Awards Accused of Censorship After Pulling Hong Kong Protest Photos